An Environmental Assessment is a systematic process that addresses an issue, problem or need leading to a recommended solution(s) through a process that is open, transparent and can be replicated. In Ontario, the process is governed by the Environmental Assessment Act. In accordance with and approved under the EA Act, MTO has developed the “MTO Class Environmental Assessment for Provincial Transportation Facilities , 2000“ document, a 12 Chapter 91 page document. The Class EA process and document has been developed based on the MOECC five guiding principles for Class EA studies:
- Consider all reasonable alternatives;
- Provide a comprehensive assessment of the environment;
- Utilize a systematic and traceable evaluation of net effects;
- Undertake a comprehensive public and indigenous peoples consultation program; and
- Provide a clear and concise documentation of the decision-making process, public consultation and recommended solution(s).
For more in depth information on the application of the EA Act and the “MTO Class Environmental Assessment for Provincial Transportation Facilities , 2000“ document applicable to this project, please contact the individuals listed in the Contact section of the website.